The True North Times
  • Ineligible for the Supreme Court
  • The only thing that Andrew Coyne DOESN'T hate
  • First to podcast with Wilfrid Laurier
  • Exporting Beaver Hides to the Metropol since 1608
  • For the sophisticated hoser
  • It's Dynamite!
  • Peter Mansbridge’s bathroom reading material
  • Yet to be castrated by Margaret Wente
  • Now with 60 minute hours!
  • Winnipeg? There?

 

aaa

But can anything really stop Harper?
Twitter, @DailyGleaner

Just when you thought Harper couldn’t do (much) more damage, he’s at it again. Or at least he’s the inspiration behind it. Prince Rupert, a tiny city hidden in Northern B.C., has been plagued by a series of anti-Harper vandalism. Troublemakers have been posting stickers with Harper’s name on them under stop signs so they read “Stop Harper”.

While the defacement may seem like harmless fun, it has been said to pose a safety hazard to drivers and pedestrians alike. Operations manager Garin Gardiner explained to the CBC’s radio program Daybreak North that “they are obstructing the signs or affecting the coating that is on there to make it less reflective and they are not as effective for drivers”. Removal of the stickers is also very costly. It reportedly costs the city $53.50 to remove each sticker and so far only six of them have been addressed. Taxpayers have outspokenly not been happy that their money has to be used to fix someone else’s own belligerent acts of vandalism.

aaa

At least Harper is probably happy about this.
The Huffington Post

Harper Hate isn’t just an isolated feeling, but a nationwide movement.

This isn’t the first time that anti-Harper vandalism has popped up during this campaign season. Fredericton, New Brunswick dealt with their own anti-Harper stop signs in June and were very adamant that this was not free speech, but in fact vandalism. Many Canadians have taken to Twitter to showcase targeted stop signs in their own neighbourhoods—all the way from Edmonton to Toronto to PEI. Guess the Harper Hate isn’t just an isolated feeling, but a nationwide movement.

The twist in the story is that the Conservatives are now reportedly in the lead, albeit not by very much. On August 15th, 2015 , The Huffington Post released  polling statistics that put the Tories in the head of the game. Conservatives have a reported 55.8% chances of winning the most seats, while the NDP trails with a small gap, at 44.1% chances. The Liberals have also upped their game with a reported 0.1% chance to win the most seats. It may not be a lot, but it’s a big increase from their former 0% chance of winning, so Harper and his crew may have more competition from the Young Trudeau 2.0 and his posse than he anticipated. At least that’s probably making the stop sign vandals a little bit happy. The question that remains is whether the increase in Harper’s chances will escalate the vandalism or if they’ll be deterred by the $54 odd dollars it takes to reverse their “artwork” (and, okay, the possible criminal charges).

A little bit of anti-Harper discourse may not be a bad thing.

Don’t worry too much Harper, you’re still in the lead.
Canadian Press

If you want my opinion, I think the surge in Harper’s chances will inspire more anti-Harper propaganda. The Prime Minister has had a few questionable last years in power and I don’t think Canada wants to see what another couple years of his reign would do to our beloved country. From Canada’s increasing emissions to Harper’s failed budget to the Family Tax Cut (and, believe me, I could keep going), Harper doesn’t have the best resume anymore. While I’m not encouraging any sort of vandalism, a little bit of anti-Harper discourse may not be a bad thing. Let’s just try to do it in a legal way, shall we kids?

  • Jan

    The best way to take control over a people and control them
    utterly is to take a little of their freedom at a time, to erode rights by a
    thousand tiny and almost imperceptible reductions. In this way, the people will
    not see those rights and freedoms being removed until past the point at which
    these changes cannot be reversed. Therefore, we need to change the present
    government and the way of thinking in Canada to get a fresh idea and
    fresh blood to be flow thru the entire government avenue. This is called medically
    a transfusion blood be able to inject a new spirit to Canadian body.

  • Gordon Borchert

    This vandalism is how gibbering Progressives conduct their “respectful, issues-driven campaign”.

  • William Hebert

    The city should auction these Harper “adjusted” Stop Signs on EBay!
    I am sure there will be lots of demand considering 70% of Canadians want Harper removed from office.
    What a great memento of the 2015 Reformicon purge!